Pages

Friday, August 31, 2007

Beach Birds

Today I hit the beach for non-birding purposes, but naturally I took my binoculars and camera. Gulls were common, with four species - Heerman's, Western, Ring-billed and California. The only shorebird was a Willet that tolerated being repeatedly flushed by joggers. I also saw some Brown Pelicans, Double-crested Cormorants, and a Caspian Tern. The few birds I did see cooperated for photos. Here's a shot of a cooperative Heerman's Gull (well, I did have to bribe it with a bit of bread)...

The Willet was acting like a Sanderling, madly dashing about. I like how this action shot came out.

Here's another shot of the same Willet wading through deeper water. It was reasonably tame, and by lying down in the sand a short distance ahead of it I was able to get shots as it wandered by.

No comments: