Pages

Thursday, August 21, 2008

New Camera Technology

What good is that money doing sitting in my bank account? I mused. Why not spend it on something, like maybe a... camera! I quickly convinced myself that this was a good idea. I had been wanting to upgrade to a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) for a long time. And, I had almost enough money...

I settled on the Nikon D80 as my top choice. It's an excellent camera, and therefore carries an excellent price; I had to shell out thirteen hundred bucks (or rather, I had to shell out part of that total; I'm still working off the last couple hundred bucks) for the camera body, two lenses, and various accessories. One lens is a wimpy little 18-55 mm for general photography, and the other is a 70-300 mm for birds.

Late this afternoon the package finally came, courtesy of UPS. I excitedly tore open the box and began fiddling with the camera. It's in a completely different league from the little point and shoots I've used before. Naturally, I took it out on a test drive late this afternoon around the neighborhood. I LOVE it! It is rather complicated and feature-filled, but I'm working on getting to know it better.

Here are a few of my first Nikon D80 images:



Eucalyptus bark



Great-tailed Grackle



Ah, now this bizarre little gal. It's a female Pin-tailed Whydah, a species native in Africa. Lately I've been noticing several in the neighborhood, undoubtedly escapees from captivity.

I'm looking forward to doing more shooting with my new camera!

4 comments:

Jeff Gyr said...

Hey Neil--

Congratulations on the new camera! Use it well.

Jeff

Bosque Bill said...

Oh, I am so jealous! I've been thinking along the same lines, as I am sure many people are, too.

Please, keep us informed about your new camera... what you learn about it, how you learn to take awesome photos with it, what you like/dislike, etc.

Good for you.

Bob Kaufman said...

Welcome to the bird photography club! Be warned that it is quite addicting..soon you'll want a longer lens..and a flash..and a tripod...

But it's great fun though. Looking forward to more bird photos in your blog. Or maybe at Flickr?

Bob K

a birder said...

Hey I think your female Pin-tailed Whydah is actually either a non-breeding male or an immature...note the bolder black-and-white head pattern and the red bill...


Hehe, nice pictures. Which website did you steal them from?