Thursday, August 21, 2008

New Camera Technology

What good is that money doing sitting in my bank account? I mused. Why not spend it on something, like maybe a... camera! I quickly convinced myself that this was a good idea. I had been wanting to upgrade to a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) for a long time. And, I had almost enough money...

I settled on the Nikon D80 as my top choice. It's an excellent camera, and therefore carries an excellent price; I had to shell out thirteen hundred bucks (or rather, I had to shell out part of that total; I'm still working off the last couple hundred bucks) for the camera body, two lenses, and various accessories. One lens is a wimpy little 18-55 mm for general photography, and the other is a 70-300 mm for birds.

Late this afternoon the package finally came, courtesy of UPS. I excitedly tore open the box and began fiddling with the camera. It's in a completely different league from the little point and shoots I've used before. Naturally, I took it out on a test drive late this afternoon around the neighborhood. I LOVE it! It is rather complicated and feature-filled, but I'm working on getting to know it better.

Here are a few of my first Nikon D80 images:

Eucalyptus bark

Great-tailed Grackle

Ah, now this bizarre little gal. It's a female Pin-tailed Whydah, a species native in Africa. Lately I've been noticing several in the neighborhood, undoubtedly escapees from captivity.

I'm looking forward to doing more shooting with my new camera!


Jeff Gyr said...

Hey Neil--

Congratulations on the new camera! Use it well.


Bosque Bill said...

Oh, I am so jealous! I've been thinking along the same lines, as I am sure many people are, too.

Please, keep us informed about your new camera... what you learn about it, how you learn to take awesome photos with it, what you like/dislike, etc.

Good for you.

tenderstorm said...

Welcome to the bird photography club! Be warned that it is quite addicting..soon you'll want a longer lens..and a flash..and a tripod...

But it's great fun though. Looking forward to more bird photos in your blog. Or maybe at Flickr?

Bob K

Birdnerdguy said...

Hey I think your female Pin-tailed Whydah is actually either a non-breeding male or an immature...note the bolder black-and-white head pattern and the red bill...

Hehe, nice pictures. Which website did you steal them from?