Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

An Incredible Week



The week-long ABA/Leica Young Birder's Conference was far too short. From a purely sightings-based point of view, it was a rather humdrum week for me - I saw only two lifers: Pigeon Guillemot and Island Scrub-Jay. However, fun is certain to take place when you get eighteen sleep-deprived yet enthusiastic young birders in one place for a week.

One unique aspect of the conference was that many of the birders were from distant corners of the country, and irritatingly common birds to me such as Western Gull, Anna's Hummingbird, and Brown Pelican were all life birds for them. Not only was it fun to show these people lifers, but it was also fun to sock them once they added the species. My tradition of punching someone whenever they get a lifer showed itself again and again throughout the week, since some people got nearly one hundred life birds.

I will try to post up some reports and photos soon from the week.

No comments: