Pages

Friday, April 11, 2008

Somewhat humorous bird photos...

I've been really busy the last couple weeks, so my birding time has been limited. Right when migration is kicking up, too. I managed to play hooky temporarily on Wednesday morning to take a look around Peters Canyon Regional Park, hoping to find the Lawrence's Goldfinches that had been seen there. Nope. I've come to the conclusion that they don't exist. I did find lots of migrants, including Cassin's Vireo, Warbling Vireo, Black-throated Gray Warbler, and Nashville Warbler.

Because I was too lazy to shoot some photos to go along with this post, here are some previously unpublished funny pictures of birds...


That's a whale of a yawn. Unfortunately, I cut off the cormorant's bill. Still, a funny posture with the neck all scrunched in.


Here's something you don't see every day. A sting ray with legs out of the water standing on its head. It's actually a Great Blue Heron sunning itself - it looks downright ridiculous!


Ouch... my eye itches!


S-t-r-e-e-e-e-e-e-t-c-h...


Talk about a bad hair day! We banded this rumpled Wrentit at Star Ranch. It's also a messy eater - notice the berry stains on the chin!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a fellow birder, I was wondering what camera you use to take all the birds photos with.

Tim Hajda said...

HAH, I love that last mugshot of the Wrentit....

Elliotte Rusty Harold said...

I saw a Great Blue Heron doing exactly that yesterday at San Joaquin. Really strange. I've never seen one do that before, ever. I wonder if it's because of the heat?