Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Sojourn in Cincinnati


Life brings me to Cincinnati, Ohio, where for five months I am working as an education intern at the Cincinnati Nature Center. On any given day of work, you may find me leading school programs, hauling firewood, feeding snakes, working the center's front desk, tapping sugar maples, playing with preschoolers...you get the idea. It is a varied (and invariably fun) gig. What follows is an anthology of my photos from my first month of work.


Intransigence. 


The business card of a Pileated Woodpecker


Thaw.

 

Freeze.


Cincinnati Nature Center's intern crew. I am honored to work with these talented folks.


Temporary immortality.


Turkey Tail (Trametes versicolor)


An Eastern Gray Squirrel's business card.


Intricacy.


Symphony in Grey Minor


Hairy vine, no friend of mine. Poison Ivy (Toxicodendron radicans)


Adjusting to a new area's avifauna is always a fun challenge. In this case, the differences are subtle--but, don't be fooled, the 238 miles (yes, I checked on Google) that separate Cincinnati from Grand Rapids are sufficient to produce discrepancies in the bird life. A few species (e.g., Carolina Chickadee, Black Vulture) don't occur in Michigan (at least, not commonly). Others are much more common here in winter than they are in Michigan. This is true for Eastern Towhees--I can easily see eight in a day here, while a winter towhee in Michigan would be remarkable. There are plenty of other examples--Field Sparrow, Winter Wren, Hermit Thrush.

More to come. Hopefully.

No comments: