Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

The Deep Blue Sea



Earlier in the summer I signed up for a two-day pelagic trip out of San Diego run by Buena Vista Audubon. These long trips take you far out into the Pacific Ocean, out into the realm of petrels and albatrosses. John Garrett, Nora Papian and I departed Orange County in the early afternoon on Monday for the trip. I do not have much time to write, so I will just post a very brief report. I scored five lifers: Ashy Storm-Petrel, Leach's Storm-Petrel, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, Long-tailed Jaeger, and Arctic Tern. Other interesting pelagic birds we saw included Black-footed Albatross (photo at top of post), Brown Booby, Cassin's Auklet, Buller's Shearwater, and Pomarine Jaeger. We had some good non-bird sea life, including Fin and Blue Whales, Risso's and Common Dolphins, Flying Fish, and several species of fish that we caught.

I'll try to toss up some more photos later, though my schedule promises to be busy in the near future (school starts on Monday!)

No comments: