Pages

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Pelagic Photos



Pomarine Jaeger at the Nine Mile Bank in San Diego County waters.



Elegant Terns. They range out surprisingly far into the ocean; we had one at least sixty miles offshore.



Fin Whale.



Sunset on the first day. Trust me, getting a photo with a horizontal horizon is no mean feat from a rocky boat.



Flying fish!



Black-footed Albatross. We had three of these wonderful birds following the boat all day Saturday.



Buller's Shearwaters were reasonable common well offshore.



Leach's Storm-Petrel.



During the slow periods, people would put a couple fishing lines off the back of the boat. We ended up with several fish, one of which was incorporated into Tuesday's day. Best fish I've ever tasted.



Wes Fritz, chummer extraordinaire.



Another Black-footed Albatross.



Common Tern.



Brown Booby. We encountered three Brown Boobies on this trip: one in Los Angeles County waters, one in Mexican waters, and most surprisingly, one in San Diego Harbor!



Brown Booby.



The Brown Booby in San Diego Harbor was a nice end to the trip!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Corey from 1000birds.com pointed me at this post because I'm going on the pelagic out of San Diego next week, and all I can say is wow. I thought I was excited before...

Tucker L said...

I hope to make it out to Califorania for a pelagic trip some day-they look awesome!