Pages

Friday, August 10, 2007

'hood birds

It's been pretty slow bird-wise this week... however, I did see a Costa's Hummingbird at my feeder the other day (hummer sp. #4 for the yard), and this afternoon I saw a Western Kingbird while taking the dog on a walk. Both are new for the 'hood list. The young Great Horned Owls in the neighborhood are getting close to independence - the adults are becoming less attentive to them. Here's a photo of a Wood Duck at one of the neighborhood lakes that I took this afternoon. Usually there's just one, but today I saw three - two males and one female.

Yesterday I looked for butterflies around the neighborhood (probably looking like a total geek waving the net around in the process...), finding LOTS of Fiery Skippers (Hylephila phyleus), Marine Blues (Leptotes marina), and a couple Western Tiger Swallowtails (Papilio rutulus). Here's a picture of a Marine Blue I caught:

No comments: