Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Peters Canyon XI

This morning I birded Peters Canyon, my eleventh visit. I walked completely around the lake on the Lakeview Trail and also walked the Cactus Point Loop, a distance of about 2.5 miles. In about two and a half hours, I saw sixty-one species of birds, two of them new for my Peters Canyon list: Green-winged Teal and Rock Pigeon. I was impressed by the variety and numbers of ducks - I had seven species: Wood Duck, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard, Cinnamon Teal, Northern Shoveler, and Green-winged Teal. Not bad for August! The only migrant warbler I saw was Orange-crowned, thought I did not chase down every warbler chip I heard. There also seemed to be more Common Ravens than usual - here's a shot of two hot ravens hanging out at the edge of the trail:

A flock of Bushtits clued me in to the presence of this gorgeous adult Red-shouldered Hawk. It flew in and landed behind me, but I turned around to see what the Bushtits were fussing about and spotted him.

No comments: