Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Peters Canyon IX

I spent three hours at Peters Canyon (my ninth visit) this morning. The reservoir is drying up rapidly, attracting lots of ducks, herons, egrets, and a few shorebirds - the latter group being represented by singles of Killdeer and Spotted Sandpiper as well as a small flock of five juvenile Least Sandpipers. When I first arrived, I found the half-tame Greater Roadrunner that terrorizes the parking lot (see my post from a few weeks ago) sitting on a block of concrete near the ranger station.

I walked around the reservoir on the Lakeview Trail and then around the Cactus Point Loop, a total of 2.5 miles. California Gnatcatchers and California Thrashers were common and obvious, and a few of the thrashers were even singing! Three Cactus Wrens were also nice to see. On the Cactus Point Loop I found two more Greater Roadrunners, one of them posing nicely on top of a fence post.

No comments: